Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pause: Time with a Liberian Refugee

Working near the Diocesan Office of Immigration, I'm frequently in conversations with clients from many different cultures. There are often moments during our exchanges when a client's hard-to-translate native adage or expression either makes me giggle...or deeply reflect.

Today's lunchtime visit to the Providence office was one such occurrence. I was preparing a mailing in the Immigration department, when I was introduced to a very gentle and humble refugee woman from Liberia. With her head hung low, she shared a tale about her last two weeks - the losses she had suffered and her fear of impending homelessness. With no family in the States, her two years outside of Liberia did not buy comfort or happiness.

When I found out that she did not have a car or bus pass, I asked if she could access transportation to a job far away from her single room rental in Providence, "Could you get a ride?"

"Someone will carry me," she responded.

I paused here. "Someone will carry me." My heart stopped. To her, that was a commonplace statement. To me, her words were packed with meaning. I found myself pausing to unravel the significance.

My contemplation spurred a thought: She was only sitting in this office, seeking help, because someone...or some force carried her. She was carried to our Immigration department's trusting hands by a hope-fueled vehicle, the most reliable transportation she has ever had in this country.

2 comments:

  1. It is a very etherial translation, similar to one I heard once, "Hi Mary: I would like to tell you that today I feel better. Almost the pain disappeared."
    Almost the pain disappeared, as if it were tangible and weighty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. almost the pain disappeared, as if it were visible. even audible.

    ReplyDelete